Whether your Google Chromecast is freezing or malfunctions or you are selling it to another user, you may want to perform a reset on the device.
In this post we will cover how to soft reset the Chromecast and how to factory reset the device. A soft reset will simply restart the Chromecast. This will not clear any data from the Chromecast. A factory hard reset will clear all data and settings from the Chromecast. It will place the device in the same state as it was when first purchased, making it ready for a new user.
In This Guide
Chromecast Ultra and Gen 1, 2, & 3
Reset Chromecast From Device
- Unplug the Chromecast from its power source for about 20 seconds, then plug it back in.
Factory Hard Reset
- While the Chromecast is plugged into a power source, press and hold the small button on the device for about 25 seconds. The LED will start to blink. The device will restart and be reset to factory defaults.
Reset Chromecast From Google Home App
- Open the Google Home app.
- Tap and hold the tile for your Chromecast in the list of devices until the screen switches.
- Tap ⚙️ located at the upper-right part of the screen.
- Tap ⁝ located at the upper-right part of the screen.
- then choose “Reboot” or “Factory Reset” as desired.
Reset Chromecast with Google TV
- Select your user profile located at the upper-right part of the screen.
- Select the Settings Gear ⚙️.
- Select “System” > “About” > “Factory Reset“.
I hope this tutorial has helped you successfully reset your Chromecast. Let me know if you have any questions or comments below.