Using subtitles is an excellent way to better understand the dialog of an HBO Max program when watching at a low volume. In this post, we will cover how to access the settings to turn subtitles on or off in the HBO Max app.
Subtitle Settings on Fire TV / Roku / Apple TV
- Start streaming the program you wish to watch.
- Press Down two times on the directional pad on the remote, then arrow right over to the talk cloud icon. Press the Select/Center button to select it.
- Use the directional pad to highlight the desired setting. You can choose Off to turn subtitles off or select a language to display the subtitles to turn them on.
If you have gone through these steps and the settings aren’t working as expected, try setting them from a web browser. We have a post about it here.
Subtitle Settings on iPhone, iPad, Android, Fire Tablet, or Web Browser
- Login to HBO Max and start streaming the program you wish to watch.
- Move your mouse over the screen, or tap the screen once, then select the talk cloud icon.
- Click or tap the desired setting under the Subtitle menu.
- Select the X to close out and save the changes.