The NBC Peacock app for Firestick has had its share of problems since it was added to the Amazon Appstore. The app just doesn’t always seem to work properly.
In this post, we will cover some of the common problems users of the Peacock app experience on their Firestick and some possible solutions.
Quick Fixes For Common Peacock App Problems
These quick fixes will commonly solve a wide range of problems with the Peacock App.
- Try restarting the Firestick by going to Settings ⚙ > My Fire TV or System > Restart.
- Is the Peacock service down? Check the official Peacock Twitter account to see if an outage is mentioned. You can also visit Downdetector to see if other users have reported a problem with Peacock.
- Check for system updates by going to Settings ⚙ > My Fire TV or System > About > Install Update.
- Turn off IPv6 support on your wireless router. The steps for this are different for every router. You’ll need to seek documentation on how to change the setting. Ensure only IPv4 is enabled on the router, and turn off all things related to IPv6.
Peacock App Won’t Start
Users may see the app flash back to the Home screen when they attempt to launch Peacock. Sometimes the app gets corrupted or loses its ability to connect to the network. Follow these steps in order to try to solve this problem:
- Press the Home button on the remote to get to the home screen.
- Select Settings ⚙> Applications > Manage installed applications > Peacock > Uninstall.
- Using a web browser, sign into the Peacock website.
- Select your picture at the upper-right part of the screen.
- The Who’s watching screen appears. Don’t select a user. Instead, select Account.
- Select Devices.
- Select Sign Out All > Sign Out All Devices.
- Back on the Firestick, use the remote to go to Settings ⚙ > My Fire TV or System > Restart.
- Once the Firestick restarts, press Home and go to Find > Appstore to download and reinstall HBO Max.
Peacock Video is Slow or Choppy
Use these tips to troubleshoot a problem where the video in the Peacock app is playing choppy video or audio or constantly freezes at a spinning circle.
Reset Network Hardware
Sometimes your network equipment needs a restart to get things working properly again. Try unplugging your modem, router, and any wireless access points you are using. Let them sit unplugged for 30 seconds, then plug them all back in.
Perform this step even if other devices on your network seem to work correctly. Sometimes the router may lose its connection the Firestick only.
Use Google Public DNS
Configure Firestick to use Google Public DNS servers. Doing so can greatly improve the speed and quality of audio and video.
Check Network Speed
A slow network speed is a common problem when video play is lagging or choppy. Ensure that your Firestick has a speedy connection to the Internet with these steps.
- Press Home to get to the Home screen.
- Select Settings ⚙ > Network.
- Press the Play/Pause button to test and view your connection speed.
A speed above 20 mbps is recommended for reliable video. If your connection is slower, shut off other devices on the network that may be taking up bandwidth. You can also check any Ethernet or coaxial cable connections to ensure they are tight. Make sure computers on the network aren’t downloading large files or infected with malware.
Turn VPN Off
If you’re using a VPN, it can cause some video and audio lag. Try turning the VPN off or change to a different server location to see if that clears the problem.
I hope this post has helped you figure out why the Firestick Peacock app won’t work properly. I’m here to help if you still have problems. Drop me a comment below to let me know about your experience.
4 thoughts on “How to Fix Peacock App Not Working on Firestick”
Peacock sucks! Worst app ever!
Too much buffering, restarting every episode
Super frustrating- I sign up for premium and then it doesn’t even recognize that I have premium when watching on my tv with my fire stick.
But when signing up through my phone it said all devices compatible.
How do I fix this??
I cannot cancel this crap! Has not worked for 2 months, service sucks and I don’t want to pay for it.
The app keeps crashing on my Fire TV. It works on my phone, tablet, PC, and LG Smart TV, but not my Fire TV. I have done all the steps that this site has suggested all to no avail.