Since the Amazon Fire TV run on Android OS, you can install Android apps directly onto your Fire TV. To do this, you need to turn on the “Unknown apps” setting (formerly known as “Apps from unknown sources”). In this post we’ll show you how to enable the setting.
Turning “Install unknown apps” On
- Install an app that manages files and supports installation of Apps. The ones I use are Downloader and ES File Explorer. Both are available in the Amazon Appstore.
- Press the “Home” button on the remote to get to the Home screen.
- Select “Settings“.
- Select “My Fire TV” or “System“.
- Select “Developer Options“.
- Select “Install unknown apps“.
- For each app listed, toggle the setting to “On“. This will allow the app to access and install apps from unknown sources outside of the Amazon Appstore.
That’s all there is to it! You can now proceed with using any of the apps listed on the “Install unknown apps” screen to access and install Android APK app files.