Experiencing issues with the Alexa Voice remote control feature on your Amazon Fire TV Firestick? You’re not alone. I faced the same problem. The Voice Control button suddenly ceased to function when attempting to execute a voice search. Moreover, there were instances where the Fire TV turned off unexpectedly while using Alexa. Fortunately, there are steps you can follow to resolve this problem.
In This Guide
Fix 1 – Restart
First try simply restarting the Fire TV to see if that clears the issue. You can do so with these steps:
- From the Home screen, choose “Settings“.
- Select “My Fire TV” or “System“.
- Choose “Restart“.
You can also press and hold the “Select” and “Play” buttons on the remote simultaneously until the Fire TV resets.
Fix 2 – Reset Remote
- Unplug the Fire TV from its power source and wait 60 seconds.
- Press and hold the Left ◀, Menu ☰, and Back buttons simultaneously for about 15 seconds.
- Wait 5 seconds, then remove the batteries from the remote.
- Plug the Fire TV back into its power source and wait 60 seconds.
- Place the batteries back into the remote.
- Press the Home button on the remote.
Fix 3 – Ensure Voice Button is Clean
The voice control button is located at the top of the remote where it easily gets dirty and grimy. This can cause the button to stick and not work properly. Use a lightly dampened cloth to clean around the button to ensure that it’s clean.
Fix 4 – Re-register the Device
The microphone button on the remote usually stops working because the link to your Amazon account is broken. Refresh it by deregistering the Fire TV and re-registering.
- From the Home screen, select “Settings” ⚙️ > “Account & Profile Settings > “Amazon account” > “Deregister“.
- Confirm your selection by selecting “Deregister” again.
- When the registration page loads, sign back in using your Amazon account to re-register the device.
Fix 5 – Check Home Button Setting
- From the Home screen, select “Settings” ⚙️.
- Choose “Equipment Control“.
Note: If you can’t enter this menu, this setting won’t cause this problem. Disregard this fix.
- Select “Manage Equipment“.
- Select “Advanced Settings“.
- Ensure that “Home button” is set to “HDMI-CEC Only“.
Fix 6 – Factory Reset
Sorry it has to come to this. But if you have tried everything above, the only thing left to try is a factory reset. A factory reset will reset the Fire TV to the state it was when you bought it.
To factory reset the Fire TV, press the Home button to get to the home screen, then navigate to Settings ⚙️ > My Fire TV or Device & Software > Device & Software > Reset to Factory Defaults.
Fix 3 fixed voice control for my family’s Fire TV Stick. But I have heard Fix 1 has helped many people with this problem too. If you have gone through the steps for all four fixes, your remote may be defective. Your best bet is to purchase a replacement. Let me know how everything worked for you in the comments!