The Amazon Firestick has a name assigned to it so that you can tell the difference between devices when installing apps from the Amazon website, or using the Fire TV app. If you wish to customize this and provide a name of your own, you can use these steps. the change the name of your Firestick.
First, you can see the name of your Firestick by navigating to “Settings” > “My Fire TV” > “About“. This screen will show you the “Device Name“. Here my Fire TV Stick Lite has a name of “Mitchell’s FireTVStick“.
To change the device name, you will have to bring up a web browser and visit the Amazon website and follow these steps:
- From any web browser, visit the “Devices” page on the Amazon website (“Accounts & Lists” > “Content & Devices” > “Devices“). If prompted to sign-in, type in your email address and password for the Amazon account linked to your Firestick.
- Select “Fire TV“. The Fire TV devices you have tied to your Amazon account will be displayed.
- Select the device in the list for which you want to change the name.
- Select the “Edit” link next to the name of the device.
- Type a new name in the “Device Name” filed. Select “Save” when you’re done.
That’s it! You have successfully assigned a new name to your Amazon Firestick.
Is there a way to change the name from the Firestick / Fire TV menus?
No. It seems kind of ridiculous that you can’t change the name from the actual device. But the Amazon page is the only way at the time of this writing.
This tutorial is valid for Amazon Fire TV box, Cube, Firestick, and Insignia and Toshiba integrated models.