When setting up your Roku Box or Roku Stick, the remote control will have to pair before you use it. This post will show you how to pair the remote control.
Pair at Setup
If you are setting up the Roku for the first time or have just performed a Factory Reset on it, you will have to go through the setup process. Before this process, ensure the remote control has fresh batteries inserted properly.
Once Roku setup process begins, the remote control will automatically attempt to connect to the Roku. Your Roku may have a little white lite that will flash as it attempts to sync with the remote. The light will stop flashing and remain solid once the remote control is connected successfully.
Manual Remote Pair
- Remove power from the Roku for 5 seconds.
- Plug the power cable back into the Roku.
- Remove the rear battery cover of the Roku Remote. You should have a pairing button at the bottom of the compartment.
- Press and hold the pairing button for 3 seconds. This should manually reset the remote so that it attempts to pair with the Roku Stick or box.
Note: Some of the older remote controls pair automatically without a button. For these models, remove then replace the batteries in the remote while the Roku is starting.
Roku Remote Not Working
Here are some tips if your Roku Remote still isn’t pairing and stopped working:
- Ensure you have fully charged batteries inserted into the remote control and that they are inserted with the positive side of the battery matching the positive side on the diagram in the battery compartment.
- Remove the batteries from the remote for 10 seconds, then re-insert them. Sometimes this allows the remote to reset itself.
- Ensure you are using a Roku remote control that is compatible with your device. Roku TV Streaming Stick remotes will not work with the Roku boxes, and vice versa. Some of the newer remotes also won’t work with older versions of the Roku.
- If nothing else works, a viable alternative would be to utilize the Roku Mobile app.
For more detailed instructions, read our post “Roku Remote Not Working“.
That’s how you pair the Roku remote. Hopefully this tutorial has you up, running, and off to enjoying using your Roku with remote. If you’re still having problems connecting your remote, or just want to share your experience, please do so in the comments section below.