The Amazon Firestick is a smaller and low-priced alternative to the standard Fire TV. One of the cons of the Firestick is that it doesn’t have a USB port for expanding storage. You can however connect a USB drive to Firestick with just one simple adapter. We show you how it’s done with this tutorial.
Connecting USB Drive to Fire TV Stick (Firestick)
- If you don’t own one already, purchase a Micro USB to USB adapter.
- Connect the power cable to the adapter’s Micro USB port.
- Connect the Firestick to the other Micro USB port on the adapter.
- Connect a USB drive to the standard USB port on the adapter.
- Check under “Settings” > “My Fire TV” > “USB Drive“. It should now show available extra storage. You may have to go into the setting to format the USB Drive to make it usable. Then you’ll be able to move apps to the USB drive.
Important: If your USB drive is not detected by the Firestick, it may not be getting enough power. Ensure you are using a power block that supplies enough power to both the Firestick and USB drive. If you still have problems, read our post: Amazon Fire TV USB Drive Not Working.
Compatibility Note: Firestick generation 3, Lite, and 4K models support moving apps to USB. Generation 2 and 1 do not. All models support watching video from a USB drive.