I love watching the content available in the HBO Max app. But it has to be one of the more problematic apps on the Firestick. HBO Max has many common reasons why it won’t work properly. In this post we’ll cover some troubleshooting steps you can take to fix HBO Max when it’s not working on Firestick.
In This Guide
- Is HBO Max down? Check the official HBO Max Twitter account to see if an outage is mentioned. You can also visit Downdetector to see if other users are experiencing a problem with HBO Max.
- Try restarting the Firestick by going to Settings ⚙ > My Fire TV or System > Restart.
- Check for system updates by going to Settings ⚙ > My Fire TV or System > About > Install Update.
- Sign out of the HBO Max app by opening the app and going to Settings > Sign Out. From there, sign back in with your account.
HBO Max Won’t Start
Clear App Cache & data
Go to Settings ⚙> Applications > Manage installed applications > HBO Max and select the following buttons in this order: Force stop > Clear data > Clear cache. Try seeing if the app will start now.
Uninstall then Reinstall
Try uninstalling then reinstalling the HBO Max app. You can do this by going to Home > Settings ⚙> Applications > Manage installed applications > HBO Max > Uninstall.
Once the app is removed, press Home and go to Find > Appstore to download and reinstall HBO Max.
HBO Max Plays Choppy Audio or Video
Turn VPN Off
If you’re using a VPN this can cause some video and audio lag. Try turning the VPN off or change to a different server location.
Reset Network Hardware
Sometimes your network equipment needs a restart to get things working properly again. Try unplugging your modem, router, and any wireless access points you may have. Let them sit for 30 seconds before plugging them all back in.
Use Google Public DNS
Configure Firestick to use Google Public DNS servers. Doing so can greatly improve the speed and quality of audio and video.
Check Network Speed
- Press Home to get to the Home screen.
- Select Settings ⚙ > Network.
- Press the Play/Pause button to test your connection speed.
A speed above 20 mbps is recommended for reliable video. If your connection is slower, shut off other devices on the network that may be taking up bandwidth. You can also check any Ethernet or coaxial cable connections to ensure they are tight.
I hope this post has helped you figure out why HBO Max isn’t working properly on the Amazon Firestick.