Need some more room for apps on the Amazon Fire TV or Firestick? Perhaps you were greeted with a “Critically Low on Storage” message when attempting to install a new app.
Use these tips to get rid of this error message and free storage from your device.
In This Guide
Getting Past the “Critically Low on Storage” Error
If your storage is so critically full that you are unable to navigate the device, try restarting the Fire TV.
If that doesn’t work, use the steps to deregister and register your Firestick from the Amazon website in our article “Fire TV / Firestick: How to Unregister and Register“.
Freeing Storage Space on the Firestick
Unregister / Register
This trick has been known by the expert Fire TV user community for years. If you want a quick and easy way to free storage space on your Fire TV, unregister the device, the register it again.
Note: When unregistering, your account will no longer be associated with the Fire TV. Your settings may be reset as well as your apps. However, if you register with the same username used previously, the same apps will be restored. Login credentials for each app may also be cleared.
- From the Fire TV Home screen, select “Settings” > “Account & Profile Settings” > “Amazon account” > “Deregister“.
- Confirm your selection by selecting “Deregister” again.
- When the registration page loads, sign back in using your Amazon account to re-register the device.
Add External Storage
Utilize the external storage feature and connect a USB storage drive to your Fire TV. If you have a Firestick, see our post – How to Connect a USB Drive to Firestick to learn how.
Once you have connected a USB storage device, start moving apps over to the USB drive. More space achieved!
Delete Unused Apps & APK Files
- Starting from the Home screen, select “Settings” ⚙️.
- Select “Applications” > “Manage installed Applications“.
- See if there is an app here you can live without. Look at the size of each app and try to find one that takes a large amount of space. Once you find an app you feel comfortable deleting, select it, then choose “Uninstall“. Repeat as many times as necessary.
If you have installed apps using downloaded APK installer files to the device, be sure to delete the APK file from the device. You can use the Downloader app to browse your file system and delete the files.
I hope that after reading this post, you have successfully freed up enough space to be able to get back to using your Amazon Fire TV normally again.